Saturday, March 10, 2018

Layout

I finally finished a daft of the layout for all of the project. I also decided that the name of the magazine would be The Spice of Life. This is the logo I drafted and I love the look, it has the exact design I was hoping for.
I used the font Vertigo from 1001freefonts.com and I think it's a really nice mixture of the retro style that I also see used in magazines and a modern look that matches the aesthetic I'm going for. 
These are all of my layout ideas drawn out. I'm planning for the cover to be a bunch of peppercorns that start extremely concentrated at the top and fade out as if it was spilled. At the bottom I'm thinking of putting some of those purple edible flowers and other nice colorful nature stuff (ie. spring peas cut in half) to add some color. I tested it out with an image of black peppercorn that I found and copied over and over to get the same effect. I'm not in love with the result but my friend assured me it would look nicer in real life. She also suggested that I take some bright spices (ie. paprika, turmeric, etc.) and display them in a similar design with stripes. I'm not sure which will look better but I'm leaning towards the peppercorn one. Here's the example I made (I cut out the flowers because they looked horrible using the google image search for edible flowers. 
My two page spread is going to be a recipe but I'm still have to see if the ingredients take up too much space or I'll have to add a second column and move the photo to a different area. The table of contents is going to be placed on an image that will be a staged photo of a messy working space post baking. I'm going to wrap the text surrounding the items that are in the mess (ie. a cracked eggshell or chocolate chips). 

I'm writing this ahead of time so I haven't tested out the recipe yet but I'm looking forward to testing it out still. I'm going after school tomorrow to get the ingredients I think I'll need and then I plan on forcing my family to test it and give me tips. I've pretty much decided that if I'm not completely sick of this recipe by the end of this I'll have failed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection