Thursday, March 8, 2018

Table of Contents

I've been planning out what stories I want to put in my Table of Contents since I'm going to need enough stories to fill the entire magazine. I did some research and saw that most professional magazines run about 10-13 main stories with ads and graphics in between. The same source claimed that this typically fills around 76-92 pages long. I came up with 17 story ideas since I wanted my publication to be a bit longer (around 100 pages) and then I tried to space them out logically based on how much space I though the stories would logically take up. I left room for ads spaced throughout but even so, I only have around 71 pages filled. I'm not sure if I'm spacing out my stories too closely or if I just need more.
This is the list of my possible stories and their current page assignments:
  • How to make Perfect Creme Brûlée from Home-5
  • The Perfect Comfort Food: Rigatoni alla Norma-7
(This recipe will either be the two page spread or the cover image)
  • 30 Soups that Take 30 Minutes to Make-10
  • Rising to Success: How to Ensure Your Souffle Rises Perfectly Every Time-14
  • Pack the Perfect Picnic-15
  • Interview with the Hottest Chef in NYC-16
  • Meal Plans You Won’t Hate-18
  • I Tried the 30 Day Vegan Challenge-27
  • 75 Plant Based Snacks that Cost Less than $5-31
  • How to Use What’s Left in Your Fridge-54
  • 13 Gourmet Takes on Classic Meals-56
  • Life-Changing Appetizers You Have to Make-58
  • Is the Paleo Diet Worth the Struggle-61
  • How to do Taco Night on a Budget-64
  • The Best Cities for Vegetarians-66
  • Foods You Didn’t Realize Weren’t Vegetarian-69
  • The Newest Superfood You Need to Try-71
I might move the Rigatoni alla Norma recipe to a bit deeper in the magazine since it's the primary focus and I want people to have to flip through to get to it. I'm still not sure if I want it to be the cover image since I've never made it myself. It's one of my favorite meals at a restaurant I frequent and it definitely seems photogenic when the professionals make it. The knives I ordered are out for delivery today so I'll be working on my knife skills tonight and then hopefully tomorrow I can make a test batch to see how it looks and start perfecting my recipe. 

Dellenbusch, J. M. (2017, February). How Many Articles are in the Average Professional Magazine? Retrieved March 08, 2018, from https://www.quora.com/How-many-articles-are-in-the-average-professional-magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection